Apps for On-Road & Off-Road  

RSS

DonLakwin
Active 4X4 Newbie
13/01/2017 7:20 pm  

Hi All,

I always use Google Maps for my out of Colombo travel due to its accuracy and live traffic updates but I've found that it can unreliable when going off the trail. Furthermore, the app has limitations to what it can do in situations where there isn't a data connection. 

An app that I found recently but haven't had the opportunity to try out fully is maps.me 

On the surface the app looks very neat and ordered and is packed full with information. However with a quick glance, the routes given for navigation are limited and seem rather long when compared with Google Maps. One thing I like about the app is that I've been able to download the whole of Sri Lanka with the various roads, tracks and landmarks around the country with one button and use it fully whilst being offline.

If anyone is doing a bit of off-roading soon, please try out this app and let me know how it is in comparison to Google Maps or any other navigational apps that you might be using.

Also please post about any other apps that is a must have for going off-road that you use, I would love to know!

Edited: 11 months  ago

It's a Jeep Life

ReplyQuote
Ajith Fernando
4X4 Guru Moderator
13/01/2017 9:08 pm  

HI Lakwin,

I use "Maps.me" the paid version along with Google maps and yes it gives a bit more detail than google. I also use "Route Tracker" which I find is much more usefull as you can upload the track to google and use that track on a later date. when I plotted the Jeep Expedition 2016 I used all 3 Maps and found "Rout Tracker" the best but as you say "Maps.Me" gives a few more details and keep updating the map information as well too.  so its a choice you need to make. as all 3 Maps work offline. We are planing to go out during the long weekend in Feb so will try it out and keep you posted.  If you wish you may join us as well in Feb.

OIIIIIIIO

ReplyQuote
JeepFreak
4X4 Guru Moderator
16/01/2017 10:40 am  

Hi Guys,

So these apps all rely on you phone as a plotter, which means it requires reception and the level of accuracy is not exactly pin point especially when your phone reception runs low. I use a Garmin GPSMAP 64s plotter. This is a little old product but still incredibly accurate. Fully worth the investment if you will use it for hiking / kayaking etc as well. Some of the new models of this version are pretty cool too/

These plotters have no use on road but on a trail or truly on an off beaten path when your off roading, this will come in handy. You can mark waypoints, track your way back, drop pins or what ever else you need it for.

Lakwin and Ajith; Feel free to borrow this off me to try it out before investing. 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/140022  

Have Fun Out There!
oIIIIIIIo

ReplyQuote
DonLakwin
Active 4X4 Newbie
20/01/2017 6:44 pm  

Hey guys, 

Its all based on experience. I haven't had a bad experience yet with Google Maps and will continue to use that along with maps.me. Maybe go a little old school and get some paper maps done as well and keep in the Jeep. 

Any apps that I can use alongside the navigation that records where I've been and lets me share it? For example, if I were to visit a National Park, I can record the trail I've used and save it (Google Maps or maps.me doesn't have that feature).

Cheers guys!

It's a Jeep Life

ReplyQuote
DIRTY
4X4 Newbie
22/02/2017 8:52 pm  

Hey Guys,

This is not exactly a tracking app but Cairn Hiking shares your outdoor activities and plans to your emergency contacts so that they would know where you are. The app will also find spots for cellphone coverage or signal. When on the trail, the app will periodically track your location through your phone and tell the signal to build a coverage map of the outdoors. You'll also get to know if there is a signal where others have been, and the app will notify your contacts when you're past a set time and your phone is out of range. Do give it a try  https://goo.gl/ExvNSN

However, like DonLakwin pointed out Google maps has been working great for me. Google maps also could be downloaded offline so it doesn't require constant internet and connections. Just keep the GPS on and carry a backup battery charger you're good to go. 

Edited: 10 months  ago

ReplyQuote
JeepFreak
4X4 Guru Moderator
23/02/2017 10:55 am  

I just had a look at that app. Never seen it before and i looks awesome! 

I still maintain for tracking there is nothing like a proper GPS traker; The Garmins work great. But i can imagine this app would also be super useful! Makes me want to use a smartphone. Hahaha

Thanks for sharing this one!

Have Fun Out There!
oIIIIIIIo

ReplyQuote
DonLakwin
Active 4X4 Newbie
25/02/2017 8:49 pm  

Hey DIRTY,

My issue with Google Maps is that you are limited as to how long you can keep off line areas saved on your device. Plus I'm certain that you can't download an entire country but rather section by section. It's tedious. 

Cheers!

It's a Jeep Life

ReplyQuote
frepehlasrock
4X4 Newbie
09/03/2017 4:27 am  
Attachment removed

ReplyQuote
bipoonspodud
4X4 Newbie
10/03/2017 11:26 am  
Attachment removed